Friday, March 12, 2010

In-line skates for beginners?

My 10-year old and I want to learn to skate in these. She's never skated, and the last time I skated was in elementary school in the 80's at the roller rink (does that date me?). What would be a good choice? And not too pricey?


And hey, do you use more muscles to skate in these things? Anything I need to know before trying this?

In-line skates for beginners?
I would recommend staying away from the cheapest of skates. For the most part, you will be getting what you pay for. You can probably find a decent pair of skates for adults under $100 at places like BIG5 (I'm really not sure on kid skate prices). One thing you do want to look for is the bearing rating. They are usually ranked ABEC1, ABEC3, ABEC5, ABEC7, up to ABEC9. Basically the higher the number the less resistance, therefore the faster the wheels will spin. Most "beginner" skates I've seen have ABEC1 bearings. Some may disagree with me on this, but I wouldn't recommend that. The wheels turn TOO slow, resulting in sort of a herky-jerky motion-- just seems more likely for someone to fall over when they are continually stopping and starting.





As for the muscles... You'll get those after using the skates for a while.
Reply:Hi, jyruns above has your ans.and it is a good as U will get.Only thing I can add is the fact I have seen kids with cheep blades with plastic wheels that were too hard and you would have to push them down hill and I'm not kidding.Many people get turned off because of this.Watch for the rubber compound in the wheels and ask at a sports store for info..Rollerblade has a set of specs. on skate usage.



FISH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive